- Leeds Mencap is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee.
- We are committed to protecting your privacy and looking after any personal information that you share with us.
- This is important to us. We want all people who use our services, who support us or who would like to receive information from us, to feel confident about how any personal information will be looked after or used. This policy also applies to all our staff and volunteers.
The information we collect and how we collect it
- We collect personal information in a range of ways, for example if you:
- ask to receive information about our services
- use one of our services
- register with us (eg register for an event)
- sign up to receive our communications (eg our newsletter)
- make a donation or a gift in kind or pay for services eg childcare
- fundraise on our behalf
- give us personal information for any other reason.
- This personal information is information that is specific to you. Personal information may include your contact details such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, date of birth, as well as information you provide in any correspondence with us, and information relating to your personal circumstances.
How we store your data
- The personal information we collect about you will be used by our staff (and sometimes trained volunteers) at Leeds Mencap so that they can support you.
- When you give us your personal information, we will record this on our databases that are stored on secure servers for electronic data and in secure filing cabinets for paper based information.
- We do not retain personal information when you make a card payment with us.
Your personal information and websites
- This applies to information that is collected on this website – www.leedsmencap.org.uk
- We use two types of cookies on our website. The first type are cookies set by google analytics which enable us to understand what people are looking for so we can improve the experience for our users and the second type are functional cookies set by the website itself and are required for the operation of the site. Neither of these cookies contain any personal information or continue to track your activity when you leave the website.
- If you add your personal information to third party websites that we recommend using, please refer to their privacy policies. For example, you may add your details to Virgin Money Giving or Just Giving, which we use to take donations or if you set up a fundraising page.
How we use your information
- We want you to know that our intentions are always good. We collect your information to help us to fulfil what you need, to keep in touch with you and to offer you information that is relevant to you.
- We may use your information in some of the ways detailed below:
- To contact you, with permission
- To give you the information, support and services that you ask for
- For internal administrative purposes such as accounting, processing donations from you and record keeping
- To keep a record of communications between us and you, for example emails and phone calls
- To keep a record of other interactions as well, such as your interest in volunteering with us, or your attendance at one of our events
- To manage and improve how we communicate with you and what information you prefer to receive. We may contact you about our services, events, fundraising opportunities, volunteering, news, and other information that may be relevant to you
- To respond to and record complaints and queries
- To fulfil our contractual objectives with the local authority or with funders
- To let you know about changes to our policies and services
- To thank you for donating and to claim Gift Aid on your donations (if eligible)
- We have a separate policy about the use of images so please refer to that policy for further information.
Confidentiality and how we share your information
- When we collect your information, we use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access. These are the ways we do this:
- For paper forms your details are stored in secure filing cabinets
- We will not sell your details to any other organisations. We never share your information with other organisations for marketing, market research or commercial purposes, and we don’t pass on your personal information to any other websites. If we intend to change this, we will contact you.
- Leeds Mencap will treat all contact you have with us as confidential. The only reason we may share personal information is if there is a perceived risk of serious harm or abuse to someone else or to prevent a crime or intervene when a crime has been committed. In this instance, we may have to pass information onto another organisation such as emergency services or the safeguarding board.
- If you are 16 or under, you must get your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to us.
- We have a separate data sharing policy and if you would like more information about this, please email us on the address below.
How to update or access your details or to unsubscribe
- You may ask us at any time to update the personal details that we have for you, correct these details or remove information that you think is inaccurate. You may also unsubscribe from receiving information from us. You can do this using the following methods:
- In writing to: The Administrator, Leeds Mencap, The Vinery Centre, 20 Vinery Terrace, Leeds, LS9 9LU
- By email to: email@example.com
- By telephone: 0113 235 1331
- You also have the right to know what personal details Leeds Mencap holds about you. To request a copy of the information that we hold about you, contact us and we will send you a copy of your personal information that we are legally required to disclose. This information will be provided to you free of charge. We also have a separate subject access policy that you can access by contacting our administrator.
This policy was last updated in June 2020