Community and Events Volunteer
Leeds Mencap are looking for enthusiastic volunteers who can help us raise more funds, engage more people in the community and create awareness of our charity across Leeds. This exciting role is varied and you’ll get the opportunity to learn about fundraising, be involved in organising events and meet new people in your local community.
Leeds Mencap is a local, independent charity that helps children and young people with learning disabilities across Leeds. Life is challenging and can be isolating for people with learning disabilities and we are here to ensure families get the best support they need so their children can fulfil their potential in life.
- Support us in the lead up to our in-person and digital events
- Researching and sourcing items for events, such as entertainment and raffle prizes
- Helping design information packs and promotional materials for different audiences
- Distributing fundraising materials and mailings to different community groups
- Helping out with events on the day, for example running stalls at a fun day
- Helping us with charity collections at local supermarkets, sporting venues and other locations in Leeds.
- Finding new locations for our collection tins such as corner shops or hairdressers and collecting them when they are full
- Promoting events and other activity through social media
- Creating press releases and sending them out to local media
Skills, knowledge and attitude
Volunteers may have a passion for fundraising or events management, or may be enthusiastic about communications and/or marketing. For this role, volunteers need to be friendly and approachable, with good communication skills and the ability to balance a variety of different activities at once.
Volunteers should be able to commit to 3 hours a week, for a minimum of 6 months, ideally longer.
However we also look for volunteers to help out on the day of events, so please also get in touch if you cannot commit to the regular volunteering.
This role requires volunteers to complete an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. There is no cost to the volunteer for this. Details will be given upon induction.
Travel costs and any additional expenses incurred will be reimbursed.
Location: Leeds Mencap, The Vinery Centre, Leeds, LS9 9LU
How to apply
To apply for any of our volunteering opportunities, please download and complete an application form and equal opportunities monitoring form. Email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org