This one’s for the adrenaline junkies! Take on a daring skydive to raise money for us this September.
What is skydiving
Technically the jump is called a ‘Tandem Skydive’. It’s a Skydive because you will be freefalling through the air (without the parachute deployed) for several thousand feet; it is in Tandem because you will be harnessed to a professional parachute instructor at all times throughout the descent. This is the only way you can jump from such an altitude without spending thousands of pounds becoming a freefall parachutist and is literally the chance of a lifetime!
This jump is also much less demanding than the traditional ‘static line’ jump as the jump and training are completed in one day and your instructor will be in control of your landing.
We are in desperate need of funds in order to continue our work and we really hope that you decide to give Skydiving a go. It’s a great challenge to raise money for our charity. But don’t take our word for it. Sarah Varley, Project Manager at Lloyds Banking Group, told us about her Skydiving experience:
“I wanted to do a skydive as I was 40 this year and wanted to do something special that I would remember. My team at work had voted for Leeds Mencap to be our charity of the year so that is who I wanted to raise money for. I was very excited on the day of the skydive. Our plane was the first one to go up that day. The skydive itself was an amazing experience and one I will never forget. The feeling when you are in freefall is unforgettable and then once the parachute opens it is completely silent, like nothing I have ever experienced before. I loved every minute and will definitely do it again. It was a pleasure to raise money for such a deserving charity.”
Important information about the jump
- The jump and training are completed in one day.
- You are harnessed to an experienced parachute instructor at all times.
- You jump from at least 10,000 feet- just like professional skydivers do!
- You freefall down to 5,000 feet- falling through the air at 120mph. You ride the parachute down to the ground – you will be taught how to steer into the drop zone!
- The landing is controlled by your instructor.
- You receive a certificate to prove that you have completed a two mile high tandem jump!
We run our skydives through Skyline so if after reading this you have any questions, please contact them directly on 0207 424 5522 or email email@example.com
How to take part
- To take part, we ask that you raise a minimum of £395 sponsorship money to cover the cost of the jump. Every extra pound raised over this amount goes straight to the charity.
- Many people find that setting up an online giving page is a quick and easy way to fundraise the minimum amount and more. You can set up a Just Giving page for your jump.
- Use social media to spread the word about your jump and to maximise your reach!
- Once you have raised the minimum amount you can book online at Skyline events. Let us know once you’ve booked. Please note you must also provide a £70 booking deposit which should be made payable to ‘Skyline’ (if you wish you can take this out of any offline sponsorship money raised and secured prior to your booking you can).
Social media is a great way to tell your story, promote your fundraising efforts and raise more awareness. Make sure to tag us @LeedsMencap in to any posts you share!
Our fundraising team are here to support you, we have a dedicated member of staff on hand to help you! Contact Abi on 0113 235 1331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How your support helps
Leeds Mencap is a charity in Leeds that helps provide support for children with learning disabilities and their families. We’re an important part of the community and greatly benefits from donations of any size.
£30 could pay for an experienced adviser to provide practical support and a listening ear to a parent who doesn’t know where to turn.
£100 could pay for a Makaton tutor to teach parents attending our coffee mornings some basic signs so they can understand and communicate with their non verbal child.
£200 could pay for a group of young adults to go bowling together, giving them an opportunity for independence and socialising.
£500 could pay for the skilled staff needed to help children develop their early years skills during two sensory play sessions in our specialist play room.
Download our information pack
We know this challenge can be a daunting process so we’ve put together a pack with everything you need to know to undertake your skydive including FAQs and important information.