Mencap’s Mountain Challenge
Tackle a mountain or skyscraper from the comfort of your own home in our mountain challenge.
About this event
Always wanted to climb Kilimanjaro or scale Snowdon? Then we have the challenge for you!
Climb any mountain of your choice from the comfort of your own home. The goal of the challenge is to climb the equivalent number of flights of stairs as a well-known mountain or building of your choice. The money you raise will help support our work to improve the lives of children and young people with learning disabilities.
Simply pick a mountain or landmark, and pledge to complete the equivalent amount of steps that it would take to climb it. Get your friends and family to sponsor you.
Our top tips
- Set up a Just Giving page to easily collect your donations and advertise your challenge.
- Work out your target – count and record how many steps you or your team climb each day for a week. Make your highest step day your daily target!
- Challenge yourself – aim to climb a mountain or building that has the same number of flights as your weekly flight goal, or more if you’re feeling ambitious!
- Keep going – keep a record of your steps so you know how close you are to completing your challenge. If you surpass your target then aim for a taller mountain or building!
How to pay in your fundraising
You can pay in your fundraising to us in a number of ways:
- Online: set up a Just Giving page to collect your donations or donate on our website directly.
- By phone: call our friendly team on 0113 235 1331 to pay by card.
- Bank transfer: contact us on 0113 235 1331 to pay via bank transfer.
- By post: you can post cheques to: Leeds Mencap, The Vinery Centre, 20 Vinery Terrace, Leeds, LS9 9LU.
Social media is a great way to tell your story, promote your fundraising efforts and raise more awareness. Make sure to tag us @LeedsMencap in to any posts you share!
Our fundraising team are here to support you, we have a dedicated member of staff on hand to help you! Contact Abi on 0113 235 1331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How your support helps
Leeds Mencap is a charity in Leeds that helps provide support for children with learning disabilities and their families. We’re an important part of the community and greatly benefit from donations of any size.
£30 could pay for an experienced adviser to provide practical support and a listening ear to a parent who doesn’t know where to turn.
£100 could pay for a Makaton tutor to teach parents attending our coffee mornings some basic signs so they can understand and communicate with their non verbal child.
£200 could pay for a group of young adults to go bowling together, giving them an opportunity for independence and socialising.
£500 could pay for the skilled staff needed to help children develop their early years skills during two sensory play sessions in our specialist play room.