Mencap’s Big Tea Party
Throw a tea party to raise money for Leeds Mencap!
About this event
Holding a tea party is a great way to raise money for Leeds Mencap and to support people with learning disabilities and their families. Plus you and your guests will enjoy a fun day filled with catching up, playing games and, of course, drinking tea!
Plan your tea party
We’ve put together a list of questions to help you plan your party:
- What kind of party will it be? A small intimate gathering? A children’s party? A large outdoor event? A work party?
- Where will you hold it? At home? The town hall? At school? The office? Your church hall or social club?
- When? Try to find a time when plenty of people will be available. Will there be a theme? 1920’s? Fancy dress? A garden party? A Mad Hatter’s tea party?
- How many people will you invite? Consider your venue and what you need to provide for each guest.
Once you have decided on the details, you can send out your invites (see our resources) and start arranging the day!
Tips for your tea party
- Think of as many ways as you can to raise money for Leeds Mencap at your party – for example ask your guests to pay for their refreshments or charge them to take part in any fun activities!
- Make sure you have enough crockery and seats for your guests. Borrow from friends and family and ask them to help out on the day!
- Provide some party food and perhaps some alternatives to tea.
- Think about some games or activities to break the ice and get everyone talking and in the party mood!
- Share your tea party on Facebook or tweet about it.
Health and safety
Look after your guests and put some thought into health and safety. Leeds Mencap cannot be held responsible for accidents or illness from the Big Tea Party. The safety of you and your guests at the venue is down to you, so please take great care and take out any insurance you might need.
Borrow our resources
We have a number of different party items and decorations that we’d be happy for you to use:
- Leeds Mencap bunting
- Party invitations
- Cake labels
- Cake Bingo
Contact us if you’d like to borrow any of these.
Raising money for Leeds Mencap
There are lots of different ways to raise money for Leeds Mencap during your tea party. Here are a few ideas:
- Ask guests to donate a small amount towards their tea party treats – it could be per cup or cake slice, or a set amount when they arrive.
- Arrange some entertainment (like face-painting, cake decorating or quiz) and ask for a donation.
- Ask local businesses to donate food or prizes for a raffle, then you can sell raffle tickets (ask us about any legal requirements).
How to pay in your fundraising
You can pay in your fundraising to us in a number of ways:
- Online: set up a Just Giving page to collect your donations or donate on our website directly.
- By phone: call our friendly team on 0113 235 1331 to pay by card.
- Bank transfer: contact us on 0113 235 1331 to pay via bank transfer.
- By post: you can post cheques to: Leeds Mencap, The Vinery Centre, 20 Vinery Terrace, Leeds, LS9 9LU.
Social media is a great way to tell your story, promote your fundraising efforts and raise more awareness. Make sure to tag us in any posts you share! @LeedsMencap
Our fundraising team are here to support you, we have a dedicated member of staff on hand to help you! Contact Abi on 0113 235 1331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How your support helps
£30 could pay for an experienced adviser to provide practical support and a listening ear to a parent who doesn’t know where to turn.
£100 could pay for a Makaton tutor to teach parents attending our coffee mornings some basic signs so they can understand and communicate with their non verbal child.
£200 could pay for a group of young adults to go bowling together, giving them an opportunity for independence and socialising.
£500 could pay for the skilled staff needed to help children develop their early years skills during two sensory play sessions in our specialist play room.